First steps after a fire
Our advice for the steps you should take following a fire in your home are set out below.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Don’t switch on any gas, electricity or water supply on if they have been turned off
- Get utility supplies and installations checked and repaired by a qualified person.
- If you need to leave your property make sure it is secure, consider removing valuables if it is safe to do so
If you can’t live in your home after a fire
- Try to arrange temporary accommodation with family or friends
- Contact the British Red Cross, they may be able to provide temporary shelter
- Contact your local authority housing office
Advice about getting your home back to normal as soon as possible, and explaining what support is available can be found here