We hope never to have a fire in our home, having good habits reduces the risks. Make an escape plan and make sure everyone knows it.
What should you do if alerted by a smoke alarm at home
If you can see or smell smoke;
- Shout to any other people in the house that there is a smoke alarm going off.
- The best route is the normal way out of your home. (Make sure exits are kept clear.)
- Think of a second route in case the first one is blocked.
- Door and window keys should be kept where everyone can find them
- Once you are out, stay out and make sure that the Fire brigade is called phone 999
- Take a few minutes to practice your escape plan.
- Review your plan if the layout of your home changes.
What to do if your escape route is blocked
- If you can’t get out, get everyone into one room, ideally with a window and a phone.
- Put bedding around the bottom of the door to block out the smoke, then open the window and call “HELP FIRE” better still use a phone, if you have one, dial 999 and ask for the fire service.
- If you’re on the ground or first floor, you may be able to escape through a window.
Only as a last resort-
Use bedding to cushion your fall and lower yourself down carefully. Don’t jump. If you can’t open the window break the glass in the bottom corner. Make jagged edges safe with a towel or blanket.