Going on holiday
Fire safety advice for the holidays
Holiday time should be a time of relaxation and fun. By taking a few fire safety precautions both before and during you holiday, your enjoyment should not be spoilt by an unwanted fire.
Before you go away:
- Turn off all gas appliances that are not required to be running while you are away.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances not needed.
- Close all internal doors. Should a fire occur, it will be contained and cause less damage.
- Turn off water at the mains. Water from a leaking pipe or overflowing from a cistern could short out electrical wiring and cause a fire.
- Empty all rubbish bins and ashtrays.
- Tell a relative, friend or neighbour that you are going away and leave a key with them if possible.
- Check your smoke alarms.
While you are away
When staying in hotels or apartments:
- Walk your escape route(s) and find your final exit doors. Having a fire plan is even more important when you are in an unfamiliar place. See Escape Plan.
- Check the position of fire alarm call points and fire-fighting equipment.
- Read the fire instructions displayed in your room and at reception.
- Ask where the assembly point is in case of fire, so people will know you are safely outside.