Safety Advice during a Power Cut
- Turn off electrical equipment, except a light to show when power is restored
- Keep curtains and furniture away from heaters to avoid fires
- Avoid using candles and never leave them in unoccupied rooms
- Cut out draughts by drawing the curtains
- Keep a torch nearby
- Keep warm by staying in one room, or even in bed. Central heating boilers won't work without electricity. If you use another form of heating, use it safely. Never move a bottled gas or oil heater when it is lit.
- Keep a phone in the house which is not dependent on a power supply.
- Street lights may also be off, so take care if you go out.
- Keep an eye on elderly, or ill people, living nearby. If you have a gas cooker, try to make sure they have some hot food or drink, even if it's a flask of water.
- Fri 7 Mar
Road Traffic Collision, Gilling West nr Malton
- Thu 6 Mar
House fire in Commondale near Whitby
- Tue 4 Mar
Cottage Fire - Leavening