Countryside Fire Safety
In the UK, 79,000 fires are started on grass and heathland every year!
- Avoid fires in the countryside. Always have them in safe, designated areas.
- Put out cigarettes and other smoking materials properly before you leave your vehicle.
- Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows- they could start a fire and ruin the surrounding countryside.
- Don't leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take then home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.
- If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately.
- Don't attempt to tackle fires that can't be put out with a bucket of water- leave the area as soon as possible.