Fireworks are explosives which burn at extremely high temperatures and can cause serious injuries. They need careful handling and storage.
Always follow the firework code:
- Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
- Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.
- Light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back.
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Don't put fireworks in pockets and never throw them.
- Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators.
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
- Make sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving.
We've added details of some organised bonfire and firework displays to the events page.
For further advice on the use of fireworks and organising a display, see:
Fireworks- Be safe not sorry
Firework safety and the law
NYFRS Children's Fireworks Safety Leaflet
NYFRS Bonfire Night Safety Leaflet
Organising firework displays
Giving your own firework display
Using fireworks at home
Working together on firework displays