Fireworks are explosives which burn at extremely high temperatures and can cause serious injuries. They need careful handling and storage.
We would always recommend attending an organised firework display but if you are holding your own display please follow our tips below.
- Consider attending an organised display, they are much safer for you and your family
- Always buy fireworks from a reputable seller, every firework should have a CE mark on them to state they have passed the required safety standards
- Always keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
- Always read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.
- Always light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back.
- Always keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
- Always direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators or flammable objects such as bushes and trees.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket and never throw them.
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
- Never let children play with fireworks.