If you or someone in your home smokes, you need to take extra care to make sure you stay safe from fire.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended, they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
- Never tip your ash straight into a bin containing other rubbish.
- Never smoke if you are on oxygen therapy as it is dangerous.
- Always use heavy ashtrays that can’t tip over easily and are made of materials that won’t burn.
- Avoid smoking when you are feeling sleepy, as you could doze off and set fire to the furniture.
- Avoid letting ash or cigarette ends build up in an ashtray.
- Remember, smoking materials such as cigarettes and cigars accidentally start almost 2,000 fires in the home every year.
Visit www.nhs.uk/smokefree or see your GP for more information about the support available to help you quit.
E-cigarette safety tips
E-cigarettes are becoming more and more popular but just because they don’t have a open flame doesn’t mean they don’t get hot and doesn’t mean they are free from risk of fire.
- Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods.
- Never mix components of different e-cigarettes.
- Always use the charger supplied with your e-cigarette
- Always purchase your e-cigarette from a reputable source
- Always check the e-cigarette carries CE certification
- Remember to test your smoke alarm regularly
- Remember to contact Trading Standards over any e-cigarette safety concerns