Many people like using candles, tea lights, incense sticks and scented candles to create an atmosphere, this could be for a special occasion or celebrate. Candles can be great, but they are also an open flame and can have disastrous consequences. Follow our advice to keep you and your family safe.
- Never place candles or tealights directly on to plastic surfaces.
- Never leave candles burning. You should extinguish candles before you leave a room and never go to sleep with a candle still burning.
- Always use a heat resistant holder when burning candles and tealights.
- Always make sure candles are completely out and not still smoldering.
- Always keep candles away from curtains and soft furnishings such as tablecloths and cushions.
- Avoid putting candles where they might get knocked over or where children and pets could get close to them.
- Avoid putting tealights directly on to baths and TVs. Even though tealights are usually sold in little aluminium containers these are not totally heatproof.
- Remember, candles cause over 800 fires in UK homes every year, so please be careful when using them.