Thank you everyone for another fairly quiet bonfire night throughout York and North Yorkshire. We’re hoping for a quiet night tonight too. If you’re having your own fireworks display this evening please follow our safety tips below, or better yet go to an organised display.
- Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable
- Only buy fireworks which have the CE mark, keep them in a closed box and use them one at a time
- Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary
- Light the firework at arm’s length with a taper and stand well back
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit
- Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them
- Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators
If you’re having a bonfire:
- Check for hedgehogs and other wildlife before lighting your bonfire.
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
- Don’t build bonfires close to trees, hedges or sheds.
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended.
- Make sure that the bonfire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving
Firework/Bonfire related incidents from 5th November 2021
02:22 Catterick Garrison- building fire
Crews from Colburn and Richmond attended a fire to furniture stored within a garage believed to have been caused by a stray firework.
17:39 Whinny Hagg Lane, Hambleton, Selby- small fire in open
A crew from Selby used a hose reel jet to extinguish a bonfire that was too large
20:28 East Row car park, Sandsend, Whitby- small fire in open
A crew from Whitby used a hose reel jet to extinguish a rubbish/bin fire caused by fireworks being set off next to rubbish
21:24 Bankhead, Knaresborough- small fire in open
A crew from Knaresborough used a hose reel to extinguish a fire to a small area of hedge and a wheelie bin, caused by a stray firework.
21:48 Kingsway North, York- false alarm
A crew from Acomb attended reports of a bonfire being relit. On their arrival they found the remains of an organised bonfire with only ash remaining. No action required.
22:56 Area of A684, Bainbridge-small fire in open
A crew from Hawes used knapsack sprayers and beaters to extinguish the remains of a bonfire