As the responsible person you must carry out and regularly review a fire risk assessment of the premises. This will identify what you need to do to prevent fire and keep people safe.
The Authority is responsible for enforcing the Order and North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service carries out fire safety inspection work on behalf of the Authority.
The order is enforced through periodic inspections or audits of non-domestic premises by the Fire Service. If we consider that the responsible person has failed to comply with any provision of the order, we may consider taking further action.
Please see the video below for further guidance. (Courtesy and copyright of South Wales Fire and Rescue Service).
Completing the Fire Risk Assessment
Follow our easy five step guide:
- Identify the hazards.
- Identify the people at risk.
- Evaluate, remove or reduce the risks.
- Record your findings, provide an emergency plan and provide training.
- Review and update the Fire Risk assessment regularly.
The fire safety risk assessment chart gives more detailed information about the steps.
Help with the assessment
Please use the following links to assist you complete the Risk Assessment yourself or follow our link to help you choose a competent risk assessor.
- Visit the gov.uk website page for business, where you may download the RR(FS)O legislative documents for various types of premises.
- View General Fire safety Guidance on Gov.uk
- Visit the government website to see their Do you have paying guests? guidance for owners of bed and breakfasts, guest houses and self catering properties.
- Download a Guide to Choosing a competent Fire Risk Assessor – word document
- Visit the government website to see a short guide to making your premises safe from fire