Your home should be your safe place and we want to help you keep it that way.
For many, this winter is going to present many challenges, especially with the rising cost of living.
Therefore, we have worked closely with the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire, to produce this helpful guide.
The online resource offers guidance to prevent fires related incidents this winter, particularly when heating your home.
With fuel prices rising, many people may turn to alternative ways to heat their home, cook their food or manage electrical appliances. This booklet provides advice on how best to stay safe and avoid these risks.
- Heating your home with devices such as portable heaters, solid fuel heating, outdoor heating and electrical blankets
- Cooking – specifically using disposable or portable equipment
- Safe use of electrical appliances such as washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers
- Using candles appropriately
- Fire detection and smoke alarms
- Information on where to go for further information
Chief Fire Officer Jonathan Dyson, said: “Keeping you and your family safe and healthy over the winter months is of utmost importance to me and the whole team at North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.
“We understand how challenging life is at the moment, and we hope this booklet provides information to protect you, your loved ones and your home over the coming months.
“Please take some time to read through the advice compiled by our Prevention team and please do contact the Service for further advice.”
The online resource can be found here: Be safe Feel safe: Online guidance launched to help you stay safe from fire this winter – Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner North Yorkshire (northyorkshire-pfcc.gov.uk)
Safe and Well Visits
Safe and Well visits are also available to eligible members of the public. These visits include a visit to your home to offer fire safety advice to reduce and prevent fires specifically for you, your family and your home. These include:
- Identify possible risks in the home
- Test smoke alarms
- Plan potential escape routes and talk through bedtime routines to ensure safety during the night
More information about Safe and well visits can be found here www.northyorksfire.gov.uk/your-safety/book-a-visit